Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Passive Voice Should Not Be Used

For clearer writing, use the active voice (most of the time)
(If you recognized the title as breaking its own ruleof course, it’s in the passive voicethen you don’t need this post)
Hello, Friends,
Sorry for the long hiatus. Falling off a bike, breaking a hip, and experiencing a total hip replacement when one is out of town can slow things down. Admittedly, my apology sounds pretty weak and passive, but that is not the passive voice.
My hip was broken; now that is passive. So is My hip replacement was performed by a topnotch surgeon.

Here
s where I want to take this post: What is the active voice? What is the passive voice? Why do we use the passive voice? When can we appropriately use the passive voice?

What is the Active Voice? (Think:
WDW?)
In normal conversation, we nearly always use the active voice. It is actually the way we think. It is straightforward and starts with the subject, which is the actor in the sentence. Next comes the verb and then the direct object. It directly answers the question:
Who did what, who does what, who will do what (or what did what, what does what, or what will do what)?
(Just think, WDW?) Here are some examples of the active voice:
• John read the book.
• The instructions will provide the answer.
• I can understand each step.


What is the Passive Voice?
The passive voice gets at the story indirectly, and we often use it in written text without even realizing it, yet we rarely use it when we speak. You might say that using the passive voice rides the horse backwards: it does not directly answer
Who did what. Rather, it starts with the object, the receiver of the action. And if it identifies the actor at all, it does so in a by phrase:
• The book was read (by John).
• An answer will be provided (by the instructions).
• Each step is understood (by me).

Sometimes, a passive voice sentence just ignores the actor:
My bike was stolen (by___).
• The material was analyzed (by___).

• Your request was denied (by___).

What Are Key Problems with the Passive Voice?
1. It is wordier. Compare:
I read the book; The book was read by me.
2.
By leaving out the actor, the passive voice can hide the facts:
Your car was bashed. The pie was eaten. The request was lost
.
3. It makes instructions more difficult to process:
The material should be reviewed and then the test should be taken.

Review the material and then take the test.
Note that the second example uses the
instruction form, where, although the sentence actually begins with the verb, the understood subject is actually you: (You) Review the material!

Why Do We Tend to Write in the Passive Voice?
Typically, folks use it only when they write, and then they just don't notice. It may actually sound more professional, and sometimes (see below) it is the better choice. Writers also use it to avoid using I, which many believe is inappropriate, particularly in business writing. In fact, readers respond more positively to personal pronouns, including I. Still, we can overdo the use of I. Here are some ways to manage the problem:
1.
.
Don't use I to think aloud:
I just wanted to tell you that I think you did a great job. Instead, consider: You did a great job! or even, Great job!

2. Avoid starting sentences with I:
I have decided to honor your request, after considering it. Instead try this: After considering your request, I have decided to honor it.
3. Avoid casting your monthly report, etc., in the passive voice: During November, the analysis of materials was performed, the report was completed, and a new candidate was interviewed. (And where were you, Australia?) Of course, you don't want to over do it: I analyzed, . . . I completed, . . . I interviewed. . . . Then a list of active verbs is a healthy alternative:
During November, I accomplished the following:
• Analyzed . . .
• Completed . . .
• Interviewed . . .

When is the Passive Voice Appropriate?
Never say never! The passive voice has its place. The real issue is this: use it only intentionally, not by accident. Here are some acceptable and useful places to use the passive voice:
1. When nobody knows or cares who or what did it:
My briefcase was stolen.
2. To avoid unnecessary blaming:
The cap was left off the toothpaste.

3. To emphasize the receiver of the action:
The child was struck by the car.
4. To build to the high point:
The winning ticket was purchased by . . . a small boy.

5. To maintain a consistent point of view:
You have worked hard, you have performed well, and you will be rewarded.

I have collected a variety of interesting uses of the passive voice. (They have been collected by me.) Below is one from America Westa sign confronting passengers checking in:

It is required by the airline to present the original credit card used to purchase your electronic ticket upon check-in.

Ouch! There are so many ways to fix this sentence. Here is one:
When you check in, please present the credit card used to purchase your ticket.

Now, I hope you will be comfortable using your grammar checker, and when it yells at you,
Passive Voice! I trust you will know what to do.

This post was approved by Neita!
Whoops! Neita approved this post!








No comments:

Post a Comment